OK girls, I have noticed a definite trend on the internet and social media. Now, I love the flowing top over a pair of skinny jeans as much as the next girl. However, I fear that some women over 40 have convinced themselves that this is the only silhouette that works at middle age. I would like to make a case for wearing belts after 40.
I totally get it…when you find something that works you just go with it and the flowing top over slim pants is a look that works for a lot of us girls. But, it can run the risk of becoming a uniform of sorts. Belts can add rich detail and unique flair to any outfit. The key to wearing belts after 40 is finding widths and designs that are figure flattering.
- Obi Belt – These fabric belts are made of fabric that is wider in the front and narrower in the back, so they can be cinched in without feeling uncomfortable. These belts help create an hourglass shape. Just make sure not to wear them too close under a larger bust.
- Belt With Partial Tuck – This style works perfectly for over-sized tops that can look pretty shapeless when worn out.
- Thin Colored Belt – Add a pop of color to your outfit with a thin belt. Again I used a partial tuck to soften the visual line.
- Match Belt To Clothing – Matching belts add definition to the waist without drawing too much attention.
- Emphasize Waist Under A Longer Shirt Or Vest – Choose a belt that adds some color and visual interest…then, layer something longer over the top.
- Wide Belt Over Bulky Clothing – Belts add needed definition to the waist when wearing bulky material or multiple layers.
- Leather Belt With Details – A quality leather belt elevates the style of a simple jeans and top combo.
Obi Belt|Floral Interlock|Skinny Bow Belt|Black Leather Waist Belt|Black Patent Leather
How about you…do you already incorporate belts into your look? If not, are you willing to shake things up by trying something new? I hope I’ve given you a little inspiration to try adding a few belts to your look.
Before I say goodbye I want to welcome all you fabulous fashionistas over 40 to join the My Refined Style Linkup #4. It will go live on Thursday, January 7 (12:00 am ET)…can’t wait to see you there!
Copyright secured by Digiprove © 2016 Shellie Bowdoin